After having changed well over 2,000 menu items since I’ve been here, I sometimes get a bit of menu writer’s block. I hate to repeat dishes unless it’s simply to meet demand, because repeating dishes is cheating and boring. And once something has been on the menu a week or two, I can barely look at it without contempt. Three weeks and I know the relationship is over for good. Maybe in ten years or so I can be friends with that tuna or salmon or goat cheese dish on facebook, but we’ll never get that old spark back.
So imagine how delighted I was when I discovered a menu writing app for my phone. I just enter a theme ingredient and it sets me up with a photo and a recipe. I can even claim I invented it as long as I’m willing to put up with the ads and occasionally make in-app purchases. Here’s what it gave me yesterday (clockwise from upper left):
- burrata with crispy eggplant, toasted garlic stewed tomatoes and basil oil
- grilled mahi mahi with ginger glazed georgia candy roaster pumpkin and molasses-cider jus
- tuna tartare with creamsicle dressing, olive salad and chile oil
- seared tuna over a sopressata hash with housemade mostarda and squid ink-lobster reduction
- pan roasted scallops with creamed leeks and corn, chanterelles and rosemary oil
I can’t wait to see what it comes up with next week!